The web of Italian bureaucracy, what do I do?



Messages count : 1
Likes count : 0
Registration : 19 November 2020
Contact in PM
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping maybe someone came across a similar situation that I'm in right now.

I'm a Lithuanian living in the UK, however, at the end of this month, I'm moving to Italy to be with my partner because I've found a remote position with a freelance contract. The problem is that to be self-employed in Italy, I need to get a partita iva (VAT number) and to do so, I need to get residency. To get residency, a few things that I'm required to show proof of is health insurance and proof of income if I'm self-employed. That's where the problem is- how can I prove to them legally that I'm self-employed if I can't get my vat number etc. yet? I'm starting the new job on December 1st and it's with a company based in Slovakia. Since they don't have offices in Italy, I have to go freelance, so I'll be paying all of the necessary Italian tax contributions, etc. myself. But for me to be tax compliant, I need to get partita iva and the rest of the documentation... So, if I can't get residency, I'm not able to register as a freelancer. My partner contacted the commune of the town that I will be registering at to ask if my contract would be enough of a proof, but since the company themselves won't be paying anything to the Italian taxes, it's really no use apparently. It's a vicious circle, so I'm hoping maybe someone here was in a similar situation or has relevant experience and could share any advice of how they would approach this.

Thank you all in advance and I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work, THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us