ITIN for US work?



Messages count : 1
Likes count : 0
Registration : 24 November 2014
Contact in PM
Hey folks,

Can't believe it's taken me so long to register here, and to open with a numbers question! Brilliant community!

Anyway, my question is this - I'm set up as a designer in the UK (sole trader) but I'm on a retainer and do the vast majority of my work for a US based company. They've asked my to fill out a W-7 form and get an ITIN number but I'm not convinced I need one - given that I'm based in the UK, registered in the UK and invoice from the UK, should I need to deal with the IRS at all?

I called the IRS directly (luckily I have free international minutes) and the helpful guy on the other end said that the US company didn't need to file anything for me but the company I work for is still unsure.

Anyone with experience of this sort of thing? Any advice much appreciated!

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Recruiters area
2023 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team