Business Insurance for Freelancers

3 min
Published on updated on

A complex and once expensive area of freelance and contractor finance, many contractors are now looking at the various insurance policies which are available to protect you in the event of an accident at work, or claims against you for negligence. We have created this section with as little jargon as possible to make this important subject as accessible as possible. This section was created as a result of feedback from our regular visitors. You should speak to a professional Insurance Broker for individual advice.

Freelancers provide professional advice which is relied upon by others (clients). This means if you make a mistake in your work you have a direct financial responsibility to your client for the errors. Whilst you may consider the possibility remote, it does happen. Increasingly, some clients are insisting on evidence of professional indemnity insurance and having this protection will prove to your clients that you are professional in your approach and will help in obtaining future work. Although mistakes are rare, these policies are now reasonably priced and will also provide peace of mind.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Provides financial protection for your company and is designed to meet the cost of defending claims made against you, including damages that may become payable. Claims can occur where a client suffers a financial loss as a result of alleged mistakes or omissions on your part. You may even be sued by a client who is merely dissatisfied but has no valid claim, leading to substantial legal costs and time away from contracts. Of course, such claims are rare.

Our partner Hiscox offer Profesional Indemnity Insurance for freelancers, you can get a quote here or call 0800 116 4620, 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday.

Public Liability

This type of policy will protect you against your legal liability where you accidentally cause damage or loss to someone else's property (Examples: Coffee down the back of the computer or over the keyboard, knocking a laptop or other piece of IT equipment off a desk etc). Also, if you accidentally cause injury to someone whilst working at a client's premises.

Employer's Liability

This insurance is arranged to protect employers against claims for injury or illness brought by employees. Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1998 requires that employers maintain cover to a minimum of £5,000,000 in respect of such claims.

Tax & VAT Investigation Insurance

Protects you in the event of an investigation by the tax authorities - more and morefreelancers are investing in this type of policy in light of IR35 and S660and the complications it may bring. Would typically include protection against VAT disputes with HMRC and employer compliance investigations (PAYE,NIC,P11D).

Home Office / Equipment Insurance

Since more and more freelancers are working from home, these types of policies are intended to cover the loss or damage to equipment, premises, documents in the event of theft, accidental damage or any other unforseen circumstances.

How much do these policies cost?

Policies of this type are far less expensive than you may think, although the final cost will depend on your individual circumstances. The cost of individual polices tend to depend on the following factors:

  • The annual turnover of a freelancer's company

  • The nature of your business operation

Whether the freelancer works through an agency, or direct with the client. Rates for freelancers working through agencies tend to be lower, but not in all cases.

Insurance and IR35

Should you wish to take out Public and Employers Liability insurance, this should be claimed as part of the IR35 '5% general allowance'.

Professional Indemnity insurance, on the other hand, can be claimed as a 'Schedule E' expense - in addition to the 5% allowance, so this will be an attractive scheme for many. Professional Indemnity insurance is the most popular scheme for freelancers.

Continue reading around the topics :


In the same category

professional indemnity insurance Freelancer Services
For more than a decade Hiscox have offered professional indemnity insurance tailored to the needs of Freelancers. With their specialist knowledge of the Freelance industry Hiscox's underwriters understand the specific risks you face, and have built a policy that protects you from them.
2 min
business banking freelancers Freelancer Services
Starling Bank is an award-winning, fully-licensed, digital bank, offering a fairer and more human alternative to traditional banking. Founded in 2014 by Anne Boden, Starling has opened over 2 million current accounts and been voted Britain’s Best Bank 4 years in a row.
2 min
freelancer mvl solution Freelancer Services
SFP MVL are the number 1 provider of Members Voluntary Liquidation (MVL) solutions in the UK. As part of the award winning SFP Group and the preferred choice for the majority of freelancer accountants, you can be assured that if you want to close down your company, your money is in safe hands!
2 min

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Recruiters area
2023 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team